Hello everybody! I think it’s about high time I post another recipe, and I couldn’t think of one I wanted to post more than my Happy Breakfast Hash. This recipe is definitely one of my faaaves, and it’s absolutely perfect for a big breakfast or brunch meal. Honestly, I made this by throwing a bunch of what I consider breakfast ingredients together, and it turned out better than I had hoped. We (meaning John and I) thought of the name after we cracked the two eggs and added the cheese in a shape of a smiley face, but we couldn’t resist covering the rest in cheese too. However, the name still stuck, and I’m quite fond of it. It’s crunchy, cheesy, and de-freaking-licious.
SO, YOU’LL NEED:
◦ 4 medium potatoes, washed & peeled
◦ 200 grams bacon, diced
◦ 2 spring onions, finely diced
◦ 2 large eggs
◦ 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
◦ olive oil for frying
◦ sea salt, to taste
◦ cracked pepper, to taste
If you don’t eat bacon/meat in general, this recipe would still be so so so good without it! Just add some more of the vegetables, or maybe throw in a couple that I haven’t used, like capsicums or red onions! Mmm!
In fact, I might do a vegetarian version of this – let me know if that’s something you’d be interested in! (Let’s face it, I’m probably going to end up doing it anyway ☺️)
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1. Dice potatoes into small cubes once washed and peeled.
2. Add approximately two tablespoons of olive oil to a frying pan over medium-heat. Add the diced potatoes, and cook until crispy and a light golden colour, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the diced bacon to the frying pan, and continue to stir on occasion for about 10 minutes. The bacon will be crispy, and the potatoes will be nice and soft on the inside. Add the spring onions and continue to stir the ingredients together in the pan. Season with sea salt and pepper according to taste.
4. Using your spatula (or whatever you were using to stir the ingredients), make two small dents in the mixture so that you see the frying pan. Crack your eggs in these two dents, and sprinkle the cheddar cheese all over the rest of the mixture. Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, remove the mixture from the frypan straight onto your plates and serve!